Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fitness inspirations

I know it's not being modest when I say that I'm more fit than the average person. But the thing is, while I like knowing that I'm in the upper percentiles, I don't think I should be in the upper ranks of fit people! The only reason I'm more fit than the average is because, well let's face it, the average ain't that fit. Properly taken care of, the human body is amazing and can easily maintain high levels of physical fitness. Don't believe me, well, these guys are genuine senior citizens can put most people to shame. I find that really inspiring that at their ages, they're still so physically fit:



68 y.o. banging out some pull ups




71 y.o. doing a 450lb deadlift. I'm not even at half that weight with my own deadlifts!





524lb deadlift at age 75!





Here's a 67 y.o. doing a workout that most people probably can't do.

3 comments:

Avitable said...

I'm not really interested in reaching that level of fitness. I have so many other things that I want to do each day, spending a lot of time working out just seems like inefficient time management.

jkuo said...

Fair enough. I'll agree that spending a lot of time working out to achieve an elite level of fitness is not for most people. But being moderately fit does not take a lot of time; you can get away with 3 hours a week for baseline physical fitness with a smartly designed program. Attaining physical fitness should be viewed as a means to keeping yourself healthy and energized to do all the things you want to do, not as a waste of time.

Avitable said...

Yeah, I'll give you that. Spending 30-60 minutes a day isn't a lot to ask, and basic physical fitness is very important.