Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Uncluttering slowly but surely

Moving for my first real job and then subsequently moving into a small apartment has shown me one really important fact: it's really easy to accumulate a lot of stuff. I don't even own a house yet, and I still managed to have a crapload of things I just managed to accumulate over the years. I used to involve myself with lots of projects and hobbies, and consequently bought lots of items for those pursuits. Having to move shocked me into realizing just how many things were tucked away in my apartment. Ever since I've been sporadically trying to offload the unnecessary items from my life. Online sale and trade forums and websites (Craigslist, Anandtech forums, Ebay, etc.) along with Freecycle and various local forums have been my primary vehicles for ridding myself of the extra stuff.

I will say that it is pretty time consuming to post my available stuff and deal with inquiries and shipping. However, I think in the long run that having fewer possessions will be to my benefit. While I probably had fun with a lot of the items I amassed, they are no longer serving any purpose in my life. I try to follow a model more akin to the simple living manifesto posted on unclutterer. I don't want to be bogged down by my possessions, so I'm selling or giving away the stuff I don't need. At the same time, I'm trying to be a lot more selective and smarter about acquiring things. Falling into the consumeristic trap just results in more useless tchotchkes cluttering up my life. In the end, the simplicity of just having fewer possessions helps you perceive the truly important things in life: your family, your friends, and your happiness.

No comments: