Sunday, March 16, 2008

Creature comforts & the green infestation

Some things in life you just like to have and really notice when they're not around. Nowadays, sleep seems to be one of those luxuries, though that may be my own fault for having too many things to do and developing bad sleeping habits as a result. This weekend, the boiler in our apartment shut down for some unknown reason. Normally, I'd tinker to try fixing it, but it's not actually my property, and I wouldn't say that I'm the world's best home repair guy when it comes to hot water heating. We were only without hot water (and consequently also heat) for a little less than a day, but those hours without hot water were a real drag. I really do crave a steamy hot shower at least once a day. It's a creature comfort that makes my life a lot more pleasant. Maybe it's not so bad that we went without it for a few hours though. The temporary scarcity serves as a reminder to truly appreciate what is taken for granted as an everyday comfort.

On another note, this weekend was the St. Patrick's Day weekend. Of course, I was completely oblivious to the holiday since I'm not Irish, don't drink, and live in a strange bubble cut off from these bits of information. Anyhow, I was quickly made aware of the holiday by the throngs of green-clothed people all over Philadelphia over the weekend. There were even small crowds of green people around University City at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday morning. And they were all apparently going bar hopping. I can appreciate people wanting to celebrate, but starting a quest for alcohol at 8:45 a.m. seems just a bit excessive. By the late afternoon, there were already drunk people riding the trains. I don't know about you, but I find the idea of being intoxicated by 3:30 p.m. is IMO just a tiny bit disturbing, especially considering that I'm sure these revelers were probably going to be drinking into the night. Maybe I just value my mental faculties and liver health too much.

No comments: