Friday, February 1, 2008

Resolutions and Goals Checkup, month 2

I've already destroyed one New Year's resolution. Jumping rope for 10 minutes was achieved a little over 3 weeks into the year. Since I've repeated the feat two more times and can easily jump rope for over 20 minutes in 3-5 minute rounds with 1 minute jog in place "rests," I'm going to call that resolution completely fulfilled. I'll make it a new goal to get to 15 minutes straight.

The other goal of dropping 1% body fat, I have no idea how well I'm doing. My P.O.S. body fat analyzer keeps saying that I have 26.1-26.4% body fat. I've dropped 2.5 lbs since the beginning of the year, and if I put that weight change into the body fat analyzer, my body fat comes out at ~25.5%. If I assume the relative changes are correct, then I would have already dropped 1% body fat. I'm pretty that's not the case since I think my abs would look more defined if I dropped that much body fat. Oh well, I may have to pay for a set of calipers.

My fitness goals are coming along. I can hold a dragon flag for 7s, which means I'm just about 35% of the way to that goal. I can nearly do a muscle up, so I think that goal will be achieved pretty soon. The front lever and planche progressions are still hellishly hard for me, and I still have balance issues with the hand stand. But there's no reason to believe that I can't achieve those goals by the end of the year. I'm also finding that keeping a log of my workouts and diet is helping me stay on track and helping me assess how to improve my training/diet.

I didn't sign up for my 403b deduction in time this month, so I had a bigger paycheck than expected. I'm on a new financial path now since I actually pay significant taxes in the working world. I've already maxed out my Roth contributions so I can maximize my tax free earnings. I also moved money out of savings (keeping the 1/3 to 1/2 year salary in the bank) and into mutual funds. I can't bear to be paying ordinary income tax on earned interest when I could be paying a much lower 15% in long-term capital gains and qualified dividends. So, I'm making it a point to invest more in the market this year.

Overall, I have to say I'm pretty happy with my progress.

No comments: